What are the translations or the equivalents to some of the these most used abbreviations of the internet age?

• LOL
  • WTF
  • OMG

Wiktionary has a category on internet slang:

• BKV: Bone, kaj vi? -> Good, and you?
  • FDK: For de klavaro -> Away from keyboard
  • GEVA: Google estas via amiko -> Google is your friend
  • KVF: Kiel vi fartas? -> How are you?
  • LMS: Laŭ mia scio -> As far as I know/According to my knowledge
  • MBR: Mi baldaŭ revenos -> I will return soon
  • MDR: Multe da ridoj -> Many laughs (LOL)
  • MTR: Mi tuj revenas -> I am returning immediately/I will be right back (BRB)
  • ND: Ne dankinde -> You’re welcome
  • NG: Ne gravas -> It's not important
    Telegram, the most popular Esperanto chat, do not use GEVA, LMS kaj MTR. However, KV (kaj vi) is often used. – Vanege Sep 17 '16 at 20:13
  • @Vanege That doesn't mean they are wrong. Are the users of Telegram using different abbreviations for the same things you mention? – Lyubomir Vasilev Sep 18 '16 at 9:19
    On Telegram, I've seen "MNS" = Mi ne scias. – Sassie Sep 18 '16 at 10:23

Some Esperanto computer and internet slang can be found at this site: Komputeko.

For example:

• LOL = MDR (multe da ridoj)

I have most commonly seen:

• mdr - multe da ridoj (lots of laughs) -> "lol" equivalent.
  • bv - bonvolu (please) -> this would be like "pls", but sounds less casual to me; as far as I know "bv." is a common abbreviation in print as well.
  • ndk - nedankinde (you're welcome, lit. not worth thanking) -> "yw" equivalent. I suppose dk (from "dankon" - thank you) would be "ty", but I don't recall seeing it so I don't want to list it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.