What are the grammatically correct alternatives of the phrase “kio la fek”?

Related question that led to this one: Isn't “kio la fek” grammatically wrong?

I want to say something like 'kia feka (afero)' but it sounds strange. – sevenseacat Sep 20 '16 at 10:48
    Isn't "grammar" a perfect tag for this question? The reference to the other question was fine. We don't need to edit this much. – Charlotte SL Oct 5 '16 at 6:00
  • @CharlotteSL Yes, and yes. Reverted. – Lyubomir Vasilev Oct 5 '16 at 6:45

The expression "WTF" as independent expression is an english or even american idiom, which is unusual in other languages I know. If you want it as a part in a sentence

What the f**k are you talking about?

you could say

Pri kio, damne, vi parolas?

You are correct that it is an idiom, but still languages have means to express something like that (I can immediately think of the Bulgarian equivalent expression). I think I've actually seen damne used, and it is a good suggestion. Thanks for the answer! I'll wait to see if people come up with other alternatives. :) – Lyubomir Vasilev Sep 20 '16 at 10:37
    I like to add -aĉ- in there too: “pri kio vi damne parolaĉas” :) – Neil Roberts Sep 20 '16 at 11:19

If you want something with the same idea of surprise of Kio la fek and with similar intensity and vulgarity, go with Kio(n) feke ...

• Kio feke ...
  • Kio feke estas
  • Kio feke okazas
  • Kio feke estas tio
  • Kion feke vi manĝas

Kio(n) feke ... has the same amount of syllables than Kio la fek, and has avantages. One, it is more grammaticaly correct, Two, it is easy to modulate. You can create variations depending on the intensity and the source of the surprise.

It seems to me that "fek" was chosen - as an anglicism - because it sounds like the third word in WTF. I've been swearing in Esperanto since before WTF was a thing, and I always swear on the devil (or the beard of Zamenhof.)

• Kio diable estas tio?
  • Je la barbo, kion vi faras?
    Haha, I really like the beard "option". :) – Lyubomir Vasilev Sep 20 '16 at 11:52
  • Is 'Kio, diable?' a valid WTF alternative? I like the rhythm. – jzknuckles Sep 20 '16 at 15:43
  • Yes. "kio, diable" = WTH. – Tomaso Alexander Sep 21 '16 at 1:44
    Haha, nun mi diros “Kio barbe”. :) – Hugues De Keyzer Sep 22 '16 at 20:02

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.