Example sentence: I did a surface-level study of German grammar.

This would mean that I didn't go too deep in my study of German grammar; I stayed at the surface level and got just a basic overview.

My guesses would be somehow joining two words: surfacnivela, or surfaconivela, or surfaco-nivela. I can't find any word like this in the dictionary and I'm not sure about all the rules regarding the joining of two words.

Or, I can use the word malprofunda. But, I'm not sure if that word conveys the same meaning as surface-level does in English.

My attempts:

1) Mi faris malprofundan studon de Germana gramatiko.

2) Mi nur malprofunde studis la Germanan gramatikon.

How should I say this?

My suggestions would be sendetala or unua or prepara.

• Mi faris sendetalan studon de la germana gramatiko.

I think surfaca would be understood. Otherwise fari superrigardon ("overview") or just studeton.

Malprofunda and supraĵa are fine but might sound self-condemnatory.

Surfaca absolutely is a good choice - it was the first one to spring to mind for me. If by "surface level" Chris also means "superficial" I would say it's the best choice. From "La Ondoj de Esperantoj": Plu sekvis analizo de la bazaj nocioj, miaguste, sufiĉe naiva kaj surfaca – Tomaso Alexander Sep 23 '16 at 11:38

Your examples are pretty OK.

Another possibilities are (additionally to the answers from Andrew):

• Mi nur baznivele studis la germanan gramatikon
  • Mi superrigarde studis la germanan gramatikon

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.