I am mildly confused about this pair of roots. I learned about trink- first in words like trinki, trinkaĵo, trinkigi etc. Later I found drinkejo used for a pub, so my conclusion was that the latter has the connotation of drinking alcohol while the former would be any generic beverage. But then in ESPDIC I found that many translations are applicable to both (jen an excerpt of the search results on ^[td]rink):

drinkaĵo: (alcoholic) drink, booze
drinkejo: bar, pub, canteen, tavern, saloon
trinkaĵo: beverage, drink
trinkejo: bar, pub
trinko: drink, beverage

which seems quite symmetric, at least in these words. There still seems to be more cases supporting my guess, like

drinkemulo: boozer, alcoholic, drunkard, drunk
drinki: to drink (to excess)
drinkulo: boozer, alcoholic, drunkard, sot
trinkakvo: drinking water
trinkĉokolado: chocolate milk, hot chocolate

but there's also

trinkaĉi: to booze (it up)
trinki je ies sano: to drink to someone’s health

Unfortunately, most words do not have a direct equivalent (t- and d- used with the same affixes) which makes it harder to investigate further using this method. So, to what extent can I interchange these two?

I agree with what Lee Miller said in this discussion. --esperanto.stackexchange.com/questions/1948/… -- "ESPDIC aims specifically to document all usages of words in Esperanto, whether they're good or bad. I have significant hesitation about recommending it as a reference for people learning Esperanto." – Tomaso Alexander Nov 10 '16 at 13:07

It looks like your source contains some errors.

The distinction is fairly simple.

• trinki - to drink (something).
  • drinki - to drink alcohol to excess.

As a result, the right verb to use with a glass of wine is trinki.

Both trinkejo and drinkejo are common expressions for bar. The difference is nuance. You're more likely to encounter drunk people in a drinkejo. For what it's worth, drinkejo seems to be slightly more common.

• So much for trusting online resources :-) But how is trinkejo and drinkejo the same then? Or is it not? I also checked Wiktionary for these ones. – La Vo-o Nov 10 '16 at 13:06
  • I also just saw Vortaro about the above question (finding basically that trinkejo covers all of drinkejo and more). I need to remember to use it more. – La Vo-o Nov 10 '16 at 13:11
    I've added info on trinkejo and drinkejo in my response. I've also commented about ESPDIC on your original question. – Tomaso Alexander Nov 10 '16 at 13:12
    Quite amusing that drinki (from engl. to drink) refers to the excessive alkohol consumption... Wonder what that says about the view of English people abroad :) – Oliver Mason Nov 10 '16 at 15:10
  • "As a result, the right verb to use with a glass of wine is trinki." I often say "mi drinkas akvon", using drinki to denote an excess in quantity. I'm not sure whether it's correct usage, but I feel like it and I'm pretty sure I'm understood. Of course, I could use trinkegi, trinkadi or trotrinkegadi^^. – Christian Schott Nov 12 '16 at 16:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.