In several languages, there are common abbreviations for the names of months of the Gregorian calendar. E.g. in English:

En pluraj lingvoj estas mallongigoj por la nomoj de monatoj de la Gregoria kalendaro. Ekz. en la angla:

Full month name Abbreviated name
January Jan.
February Feb.
March Mar.
April Apr.
May May (sic)
June Jun.
July Jul.
August Aug.
September Sep.
October Oct.
November Nov.
December Dec.

Does Esperanto also have such a set of commonly understood abbreviations for Month names of the Gregorian calendar?

Ĉu ankaŭ Esperanto havas tian vast-komprenitan mallongigaron de nomoj de monatoj de la Gregoria kalendaro?

The latest version of the Common Locale Data Repository (maintained by Unicode) lists the following abbreviations for Esperanto:

jan
feb
mar
apr
maj
jun
jul
aŭg
sep
okt
nov
dec

Those are the same being used by gnu glibc, for the locale eo, and by Mozilla and by any localizable program in Unix/Linux, though capitalization might change.

• Would these abbreviations be used with a period after them, as the English ones, e.g. "Aŭg."?
    – das-g
    Dec 29 '20 at 22:04
  • Esperanto lacks precise rules for many typographical things, incl. use of full stop in abbreviations. A general rule observed by many seems to be omit the full stop if the last letter is included. Therefore s-ro for sinjoro but ekz. for ekzemple. By that logic those should have full stops, but I think that in table headers it hardly matters. Dec 29 '20 at 22:27

There are languages where months are expressed in numbers especially in writing, so using abbreviations may not be the most optimal solution. The ISO 8601 standard defines a date format to be used in all international communication to avoid misunderstandings. For instance today is 2020-12-29.

The standard also defines a notation for months only, e.g. 2020-12 for this month. I would claim that in a tabular representation, where you were likely to abbreviate the month names, that numerical representation of the month is more clear.

• I'm well aware of ISO 8601. (See e.g. my answer to "Date Format with Formal Correspondence".) In this question here however though, I'm interested in actual abbreviations, not in numerical representation of months.
    – das-g
    Dec 29 '20 at 21:52
    I know that you know :-) My point is to think where you would use the abbreviated names. In running texts? No, use the non-abbreviated names. In some sort of tables? Yes, but wouldn't a month number be better there? Dec 29 '20 at 22:04
  • In general, I'd prefer abbreviations in tables where months occur independent of years (i.e., in the meaning of "every January" or "on average in January within the considered multi-year period"). Specifically, I'm / I was translating some strings in Threema web, where the English original already uses abbreviations and I'm not sure in what contexts they'll be used exactly.
    – das-g
    Dec 29 '20 at 22:18
  • Ok, I was thinking sales figures or something like that for specific months. Dec 29 '20 at 22:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.