I've seen this question asked on other sites and believe it or not, we discussed it at NASK (2016) in the advanced class. There was some disagreement on whether seĝo means the whole throne or whether it can refer to just the seat (the movable ring that you sit on.)

Where there was agreement, though, was that neceseja seĝo clearly and unambiguously refers to the whole appliance, not just the seat. Myself, I learned truseĝo for the seat. Others suggested sidilo - which I always understood as an expression meaning "back side."

Is there any consensus on this question?

1 Answer 1


I don't know about consensus, but sidilo is something to sit on (a chair, usually) and it is quite logical to say it is the surface you sit on in a necesejo. It is part of the neceseja seĝo. Other parts of the throne are the pelvo (bowl) under the sidilo, the klapo (lid) of the sidilo and the (perhaps hidden) akvujo.

I looked in the Bildvoraro de Esperanto and it uses these words. I might say also kovrilo instead of klapo but kovrilo could also be understood as something extra on the seat or on the lid. The Plena Ilustrita Vortaro says fekseĝo for neceseja seĝo or necesseĝo- Fekseĝo is easy to understand but I don't like the word very much.

If sidilo seems ambiguous you could perhaps say sidsurfaco or sidplato.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.