Butterscotch is a kind of English confectionnary and flavour. I am not sure what it is, but according to the article, it contains brown sugar, butter and other things. The French wikipédia article names it Caramel Écossais (Skota karamelo) which sounds clearer, but other Wikipedia articles prefer the original English name.

About the pie part of the question. I am not sure if the translation should be adjective + noun or a compound-noun. The article for Apple pie uses Pomokuko.

Here is an example sentence:

Do you prefer cinnamon pie or butterscotch pie?

  • And then there's the age-old question on what exactly is the difference between kuko and torto; I would say pomtorto for "apple pie".
    – kristan
    Commented Oct 12, 2016 at 18:42

2 Answers 2


Like many terms involving food, the first question to ask before trying to translate it into the International Language is whether the concept you're translating in an international one. Do people in Germany, Russia, or Japan have a concept for what "butterscotch" is?

Benson (CEED) and Wells suggest "buterkaramelo", and I've verified that "Butterkaramell" is a valid German expression (along with "Butterbonbon" which suggests buterbombon-gusto). Whether these taste like butterscotch, and whether they're known in other parts of the world is another question. I'm inclined to trust Wells here.


I would use buterkaramelo for 'butterscotch' (note that I would use it for 'fudge' too; you cannot expect an international language to be able to make all the distinctions that all cultures make; outside the English-speaking world people do not have concepts that precisely match up with either 'butterscotch' or 'fudge', so the fact that they get mixed up in Esperanto is not a real issue).

So "butterscotch pie" would be buterkaramela torto (or maybe buterkaramela kuko). Often the more concise karameltorto might be precise enough.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.